Every year, Apple releases a new version of the operating system for the Mac. Some of them are really revolutionary, improve the interface, and add new functionality. Others offer only “cosmetic” changes and fixes to stability issues. A large number of users continue to use outdated versions of macOS, such as Mojave, Sierra, and others. Why is this happening and what threatens an untimely update?
Why Mac owners don’t want to update the system?
As I already wrote, many users continue using outdated operating system versions. Of course, if you have a fairly old MacBook model, you will not be able to install a new OS, because it does not support updates. However, some people intentionally block new versions, usually with the following arguments:
- The previous Mac OS is faster and has a lower consumption of computer resources (especially if there are not enough of them).
- I like the interface of the old version of the system.
- The habit of using classic programs and applications, such as Notes, Mail, and others, which have changed or disappeared in new versions.
- Ability to work in 32-bit programs (up to Catalina).
By the way, despite the discontinuation of a certain version of Mac OS, Apple continues to support it. Updates come periodically to improve security and stability. However, this does not apply to completely “ancient” systems.
Disadvantages of legacy versions of macOS
I have listed some subjective benefits. But there are more cons. Here are just a few of them:
- Inability to use new opportunities and system options. For example, there is no Music app, AirPods do not switch between devices, etc.
- New versions of applications are not supported by older Mac OS, so you have to look for and install old ones from third-party resources.
- Incorrect work of the Apple ecosystem. For example, the Locator search system needs to be updated, there are problems when interacting with other devices, and there is no access to some proprietary services.
- Small but unpleasant errors: modern emojis are not displayed, some notes cannot be opened, or other files were created in new versions of operating systems.
- Lack of full developer support, timely security updates, compatibility fixes, etc.
It is possible to use old versions of the system for Mac for a long time, in fact, this does not affect the “health” of the computer in any way. However, this option has more disadvantages than advantages, and significantly complicates the work with modern software. Therefore, it is more advisable to update your macOS after all, before that, be sure to create a backup copy and check compatibility.